Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A break from the Pirates

Well, it's all-star time. The Pirates have 2 all stars for the first time since 2006. I can't believe it was that recently. Guess who they were: Freddy Sanchez and Jason Bay. Guess what Pirates are in the game tonight. Freddy Sanchez and Zach Duke. I'm glad Zach made it after a few years without success and expectations. Then when there were no expectations he came through with a good first half. It helped that his last game pitched before the break was an audition with the NL Manager. He got no support and lost but his outing was impressive enough probably to get him on the roster. I'm not a big stats fan, but I read in the Post-Gazette that in his 8 losses he has only had 5 runs in support and he's lost 2 complete games he's pitched. That would get most pitchers down. Anyway, I meant to talk about the Steelers since most of the Pirates are on break right now. But 1 more trivia question and another name to include in the former Pirates name list. When was the last time the Pirates had 3 all-stars?
1990 - Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla and Neal Heaton, I'm sure everyone knows Barry and Bobby Bo, but Neal Heaton had that one year where he had an incredible first half and that was pretty much his career highlight. Just thinking of other players Zane Smith comes to mind too. 1 word to sum up Zane. UGLY, I'm not the most handsome of guys, but Zane makes me look like Brad Pitt. The Steelers are my favorite Pittsburgh team, but I love the Pirates. Despite the bad ownership, I can't turn my back on them because they can't seem to find a way to win consistently.

Again, I actually hate for the season to start. Do you know why? I don't want the Steelers to lose again. They may win the Super Bowl again this year, but I doubt they'll finish undefeated. Only 2 other teams did it and the most recent won 16 and lost the Super Bowl. What a downer.
In Columbus Ohio the natives call Michigan the team up North, they don't even like to say the name because they despise their rivals. There are 2 teams Steelers fans love to hate, Baltimore and Cleveland, but the team I hate to see win the most right now is New England. I hated the fact that Vrabel didn't work out for the Steelers and he was a star for New England. I hated the fact that Randy Moss didn't implode and was successful, and most of all I hate that pretty boy QB that gets more attention in a season he didn't play than most other players. I can't stand New England. So for my inaugural Steeler note this year, here's hoping the Steeler have a Super Bowl season again and the Patriots show their age and lose 16.

The Steelers have signed all their draft picks except for Ziggy Hood. Expect them to sign him soon.

Anybody have any guesses as to who the most valuable rookie will be. I'm hoping one of the guys they drafted to return kicks/punts will work out and get them some consistently good field position. I also think Shipley will turn out to be a future starter. It's hard for a lineman to make an impact in his first year, but I think he'll be a starter. Look for Tony Hills to provide some depth this year too.

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a valued member of PSB Nation.